Makes 6 to 8 Servings
1. In a large skillet, fry bacon until slightly crisp. Remove bacon from skillet and reserve.
2. Pour off most of the fat from the skillet. Add onion and sauté until nearly translucent.
3. Add carrots and garlic, cook for 5 minutes.
4. Return reserved bacon and add water, vinegar, beef cubes, salt and pepper, covering and simmering on low heat for 1 hour. Add more water if needed.
5. Stir rice in slowly, add peppers and beef broth, and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for another 25 minutes. Serve in warmed bowls.