Makes 4 Servings
1. In a 4-quart pot, heat oil over medium heat add the sausage rounds and cook, turning, until light brown, about 4 to 5 min.
2. Remove the sausage to a plate.
3. In the same oil, cook onion and garlic, stirring until softened, about 2 min.
4. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, until the tomato juices have cooked away, 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add the cabbage and parsley and cook, stirring, 3 to 4 min.
6. Stir in broth, chickpeas, salt and reserved sausage.
7. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer the soup 10 min. to blend flavors. Serve hot.