Chickpea and Sausage Soup
Makes 4 Servings
- ½ lb El Cerdito Chorizos® or Caroline Smoked Sausage®
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- ½ Medium White Onion, chopped
- 1 Large Garlic Clove, minced
- 2 Large Tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups Cabbage, chopped
- ½ cup Fresh Parsley Leaves
- 2 (12 ounce) cans Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Canned Chickpeas, drained
- ½ tbsp Salt
- 1. In a 4-quart pot, heat oil over medium heat add the sausage rounds and cook, turning, until light brown, about 4 to 5 min.
- 2. Remove the sausage to a plate.
- 3. In the same oil, cook onion and garlic, stirring until softened, about 2 min.
- 4. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, until the tomato juices have cooked away, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5. Add the cabbage and parsley and cook, stirring, 3 to 4 min.
- 6. Stir in broth, chickpeas, salt and reserved sausage.
- 7. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer the soup 10 min. to blend flavors. Serve hot.